AB 827, Effective July 1, 2020, a new State of California recycling law now requires businesses to provide food and recycling containers next to trash containers.
Businesses that provide food to customers that self-bus, must provide separate, recycling, and food collection containers front-of-house. For businesses that bus tables for customers, they must provide separate trash, recycling, and food collection containers back-of-house.
Both front-of-house and back-of-house containers should be visible, easily accessible, and clearly marked.AB 827 Printable Flyer
Container Signs and Posters
- Flyer: Recycling and Organics Recycling Guide for Businesses
- Brochure: Recycling and Organics Recycling Guide for Business (trifold)
- Specific to schools, CalRecycle has developed a:
- Flyer: Recycling and Organics Recycling Guide for Schools (to educate the school community about AB 341, AB 1826, and AB827)
- Where to put in Recycling, Composting, and Trash Bins Signage
- 3 container system (Gray/Blue/Green)
- 2 container systems (Gray/Blue)
- 2 container systems (Gray/Green)
- Single container system (Gray)
Other Signage Examples
- Do Not Merge: Separate Your Trash (Recycling vs Landfill) Flyer. Available in 11″ x 17″ or 8.5″ x 11″
- No Merging Sign. This file includes two 11″ x 17″ signs–one for trash/recyclables, and the other for trash/recyclables/compost.
- Double-Sided “What to Put in Recycling, Composting, and Trash Bins” Flyers. Three double-sided, 8.5″ x 11″ flyers in one file. Front of each is pictorial and includes English, Spanish, and Chinese. Reverse includes bulleted lists in English only.
- “What to Put in Recycling, Composting, and Trash Bins” Signs. Three single-sided, 8.5″ x 11″ container signs in one file. English, Spanish, and Chinese on each sign.
- “What to Put in Recycling, Composting, and Trash Bins” Stickers/Signs. Three single-sided, 9″ x 20″ container signs/stickers in one file. English, Spanish, and Chinese on each sign.
Public Service Announcements (PSA)
- PSAs can be posted online, emailed to local businesses, sent to local press for coverage, played at presentations, or submitted to local television broadcasters by contacting the station’s community affairs/public affairs/public service director.
- 1-Minute Public Service Announcement Video on Mandatory Commercial Organics Recycling. YouTube (00:01:00) | PDF Transcript. This short PSA video highlights the new law, starting in 2016, that requires commercial business owners to recycle their organic waste. Customize this PSA by adding your contact information to the upper 1/3 of the screen @ 0:24-0:30 seconds (over video, above CalRecycle web information).
- 30-Second Public Service Announcement Video on Mandatory Commercial Organics Recycling. YouTube (00:00:30) | PDF Transcript. This PSA video highlights the new law requiring California commercial business to recycle organic material, like yard waste, food waste and food soiled paper.
The presentations below are designed to be customized to educate audiences about the law, and to train tenants of a property about its specific recycling and composting program.
- Tenant Recycling & Compost Training. Note: Remember to adjust content consistent with local programs (e.g., what goes in recycling and composting bins).CommunicationsRemember to adjust the content consistent with local programs (e.g., what goes in recycling and composting bins).
- News Release–Organic Waste Recycling Soon Required in Our Area
- Mandatory Businesses and Multifamily Organic Waste Recycling Brochure
- Email Pitch
- Template Memo for Building Tenants on New Recycling and Composting Program