FREE counter recycling bins are available. Call 805-782-8530. You are welcome to stop by our office and pick one up – Monday through Friday from 8 AM to 5 PM.
Why Do We Collect Food Scraps?
Clean Air! Did you know when you send your food scraps to the landfill to be buried they produce methane gas?
- Methane gas is 23 x more potent than carbon dioxide (CO2).
- 1/3 of what we throw away should go in the green cart.
Interested in Where Your Food Scraps Go?
Food scraps and green waste collected from curbside bins are sent to one of two facilities in our county where they’re turned into energy and soil amendments used by our local farmers and wineries.
Hitachi Zosen INOVA – (805-434-6699)
- An Anaerobic Digester -Watch this GREAT VIDEO to see how it was built!
North County Compost – (805) 434-0043
- Windrow Composting
What Items Can be Placed in the Green Cart or Green Bin?
- All food products: fruit, vegetables, breads, cereal, dairy, meat (including bones), coffee grounds, spices, filters and tea bags.
- Items not accepted: NO COMPOSTABLE PRODUCTS, plastic (bags and Styrofoam), glass, metal, liquids and animal waste.
Easy Tips to Get Started
- Remove stickers, twist ties, and rubber bands from produce.
- Keep a small bowl or food scrap pail handy for food prep trimmings and scraping your plate.
- Store food scraps in a covienient location: on the counter, under the sink, in the fridge or freezer (especially for meat and fish during hot weather).
- Put your food scraps in the green cart for weeky pick up.
- Help your guests and family be Super Sorters by visiting our Recycling Guide or create a visual aid by printing the Green Cart Sticker or Blue Cart Sticker